Ted is a husband, father, hiker, climber, backpacker, Oregonian, Air Force veteran, pilot, cat herder, new grandfather, recovering coder, and SQL Server DBA. Ted works hard on trying to be a decent human, not getting too fat, and just generally trying to keep life fun and interesting for himself and his family.

Friday, September 7, 2018

The Best Laid Plans...


This has been travel prep week. Or should I say, de-prep. Here it is less than 36 hours before my planned departure. I have all my 'stuff', I'm physically and mentally prepared for this crazy trip I've been looking forward to for about a year and a half, and my travel plan is pretty much in the trash. The forecast for the peaks in Idaho and Utah is not good. No snow, but the wind will be too strong at the higher altitudes near the summits for the next week or so. 30+ MPH winds with temps in the 30's? No thank you. Damn the bad timing.

I just cancelled all my reservations at various places in 5 states.

So Sunday instead of heading for Idaho, I'll be going south, down to western Nevada for a Monday attempt on Boundary Peak. That's the only mountain from my plan with decent weather. From there, I'm going to be looking at the mountain weather forecasts daily and I'll head east and just play it by ear. Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona are all on the table. Utah too if it settles down and gets its act together. This should be interesting. I will send reports from the road as time allows...

0 comments: